There aren’t any regulations that say cabinets need to be a certain color, but most facilities use the following best management practices in regards to color:
- Yellow: Flammable liquids
- Red: Paints, inks and other combustible liquids
- Gray or White: Waste or outdoor lockers
- Blue: Corrosives (acids, bases, oxidizers)
- Green: Pesticides and insecticides
- Silver or Neutral: Laboratory chemicals
If you’re still unsure about whether you need to purchase a flammable cabinet with self-closing doors or if you need to store flammables in a specific colored cabinet, contact your local authority having jurisdiction. Often this is the local fire marshal or code officer.
Now that you know whether your flammable safety cabinet needs self-closing doors and if it needs to be a certain color, you can choose the right safety cabinet. Check out PIG Flammable Safety Cabinets here.
Do you still have questions about flammable cabinets? Leave a comment with your question below or give us a call at 1-800-HOT-HOGS.