If you’ve ever dealt with a battery acid spill, you know that cleanup can be tricky. That’s why we wrote this article and created the infographic below — to teach you the proper procedure for safe, effective cleanup of battery acid spills.
Here is the spill cleanup procedure you should follow in seven easy steps:
- Isolate the area, extinguish any open flames and turn off the charger.
- Remove all metal jewelry and tools from the area.
- Don appropriate PPE before you clean up battery acid (goggles, face shield, apron, gloves and other personal protective equipment).
- Use hazmat absorbents to contain the spill.
- Use haz-mat absorbents or neutralizers to soak up spilled electrolyte.
- Sweep up any loose absorbents and neutralizers and place all spent materials in disposal bags or containers.
- Report the spill so that supplies can be restocked.
Download our step-by-step infographic, print it out and post it near areas where batteries are stored to remind workers how to clean up battery acid spills safely. You can also browse our hazardous chemical spill kits for more efficient spill cleanup.