• Customer Questions: How to Dispose of Used Absorbents
  • New Pig Technical Team

    Our Tech Team is a group of experts that is dedicated to answering all your regulation questions! We can be reached at 1-800-HOT-HOGS (468-4647) or by email at xtechnical@newpig.com.

  • James Bergmansays:
    02/01/2016 at 8:35 pm Reply

    I imagine that I can’t take my oil absorbents down to the local car shop so that they can dispose of them. Mostly because by the time I get around to it I don’t know what has come in contact with the sawdust on my garage floor. So, if I don’t know if there is any hazardous waste on my absorbents, what do I do? Should I just contact a hazardous waste disposal center near me to find out what the regulations are? http://www.ohanaenviron.com/material_equipment.html

    • Brittanysays:
      02/01/2016 at 8:38 pm Reply

      Hi James,

      Unfortunately, you will probably be hard pressed to find a local car shop that will take your used absorbents. This is due to the Resource Conservation Recovery Act (RCRA) standards for waste generators. Facilities that generate wastes must determine if their wastes are hazardous. If they accept your used absorbents, they would have to make that determination on your wastes as well.

      In addition to making this waste determination, all hazardous waste that a facility generates needs to be tallied to determine the facility’s generator status. The more hazardous waste a facility generates, the higher their waste generator status and the more regulations they need to follow. So, it’s not that your local car shop is being unfriendly – they are simply trying to be a good corporate citizen and manage both their regulatory and financial burdens.

      In most communities, there is what is known as a “solid waste authority.” Typically, this authority is operated at the county level and supported/funded through county government. This group should be able to provide you with guidance on how to manage your used absorbents. If your community has a “household hazardous waste day,” it is often sponsored by the solid waste authority, and this would be a good time to get rid of your used absorbents. If they don’t, your local government should be able to offer advice on how and where to properly dispose of your used absorbents.

      Did this info help? If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to leave another comment!


  • Chris Winterssays:
    05/15/2017 at 11:18 am Reply

    I can definitely see why you would want to find some professionals to dispose of any absorbants that may have come into contact with a hazardous material. There seems to be a lot of dangerous substances seeping into our backyard. I definitely think that we should find some professionals that could help us to get rid of it before it gets to be a serious health danger.

    • Brittanysays:
      05/16/2017 at 12:37 pm Reply

      Thanks for your comment, Chris! You may want to begin with a call to your local solid waste authority. They should either be able to track where those dangerous chemicals are coming from or be able to help you identify another local agency who can provide assistance.


  • newpigsays:
    06/20/2017 at 12:33 pm Reply

    Have to agree with James Bergman about where to dispose oil absorbents

  • Gary Westsays:
    11/17/2017 at 2:13 pm Reply

    can diesel soaked absorbents be disposed of in a solid waste landfill?

    • Brittanysays:
      11/27/2017 at 3:12 pm Reply

      In most cases, diesel-soaked absorbents cannot be disposed of in a solid waste landfill because diesel fuel is a hazardous material. The two most common options for getting rid of diesel-soaked absorbents are to recycle them through a process called fuels blending or to dispose of them in a hazardous waste landfill.

      Fuels blending is a process that uses wastes instead of traditional fuel sources to produce energy. Absorbents, especially those saturated with diesel fuel, have an excellent fuel value for this process. Some added benefits of this process are that the waste is destroyed, limiting future liability. And it doesn’t take up space in a landfill.

      If you do choose to landfill, any absorbents that will be placed in a hazardous waste landfill must be biodegradable. This helps prevent leaching. Choose absorbents that are made of polypropylene or have mineral-based fillers like vermiculite; and avoid any absorbents with cellulose fillers.

  • Susan J.says:
    09/24/2018 at 12:15 pm Reply

    we had a small flood and our universal socks were used to absorb the water. Then they were supposedly dried out and finally returned to their plastic container. They now smell like mold, but our environmental steward says they are fine for reuse. Is that true?

    • Karensays:
      09/24/2018 at 2:41 pm Reply

      We’re sorry to hear about the flooding and hope that everyone at your facility is safe and well. If the socks weren’t completely dry before they were put back into storage, they could indeed smell mildew or moldy. Despite the smell, your environmental steward is technically correct: They will still function properly as absorbents. However, it may not be the best idea to have moldy socks in storage.

      Our mildew-resistant socks would be a better choice for this use because they are filled with polypropylene, which is more mildew-resistant than cellulose fibers and can be air-dried and stored for reuse if they have been used to absorb water. As with all absorbent socks, it can take several days and sometimes up to two weeks for socks to completely dry. They should be turned over and shaken once or twice a day to make sure that all of the filler has a chance to dry before storage.

      Best wishes, and please follow up if you have more questions.

  • Mohamad Zafarsays:
    10/17/2018 at 1:13 am Reply

    First of all, I thankful for this best information who provided us best knowledge about how to dispose of used absorbents. It’s really helpful for us. Thanks for such a good post.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *